I have made this Chinese Chicken Hot Pot in the Slow Cooker a few times now and it is so delicious. The Slow Cooker makes the chicken so tender it literally falls off the bone and the broth is fragrant and full of flavour, paired together it's one mouth watering meal that takes very little effort and only one pot to wash, what's not to love about that! If you dont have a slow cooker, just cook in on the stove.
Slow Cooked Chinese Chicken Hot Pot
1 whole chicken (around 1.5kg)
4 cups water
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups Chinese cooking wine
1/2 cup light soy sauce
1/3 cup oyster sauce
1/3 brown sugar
4 cloves garlic, bruised
6cm piece ginger, thinly sliced
3 star anise
1 tsp five spice
2 red chilli's
1 bunch of Bok Choy
1 bunch broccolini
Noodles of your choice, I use rice noodles
1. Put into the slow cooker, the water, stock, wine, soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, star anise, five spice, chilli's (I put the chilli's in whole) and give it a stir.
2. Wash chicken and add to slow cooker.
3. Turn on slow cooker, put the lid on and put on low for 8 hours. Turn chicken over a couple of times during cooking so the broth covers it and keeps it moist.
4. Remove chicken and pull meat off bones - it will pretty much fall off the bone it's so tender. Cover and keep warm.
5. Pour broth from the slow cooker through a sieve into a large bowl and then back into the slow cooker. You may need to do this twice to get a clear broth.
6. Add chopped bok choy and broccolini to slow cooker, put the lid on and put on high for 10 minutes, or until tender.
7. Cook noodles per packet directions.
8. Place in a bowl the noodles and chicken and then pour broth over the top. Garnish with coriander.